[ale] Buy vs. build

scott scott at sboss.net
Thu May 5 14:08:59 EDT 2011

Lots of different questions here....  He is my suggestions...

for the firewall if you are going to build it, put lots of RAM in it.
The HD doesnt matter.  Firewall software (open-source, commercial,
whatever) runs out of memory once it is loaded.  My home firewall
(back when I rolled my own) ran 100% of out of memory.  The software
was tweaked to boot of CF (compact flash) memory cards and run 100% in
RAM.  Never touching the CF unless it was to save a config change.
Get good NICs.  Dont get off brands.  And if you are going to push
some serious IOs through them, dont get mutiport NICs.  The nic card
itself will become the bottle neck.

Some commerical firewalls offer OpenVPN as  an option.  Dont remember
which ones now.

as for trihomed, that is common.  RED interface is for the internet
(RED == dangerous).  YELLOW interface is for the DMZ hosts (yellow ==
be cautious).  GREEN interface for internal only stuff (GREEN ==
safe).  Most people would put Web hosts and Mail server in the DMZ.
On the F/W put in rules for only certain ports open from RED->YELLOW
and vice versa.  Then on the F/W put only certain ports open from
YELLOW->GREEN.  Both sets of these ports (R<->Y & Y->G) be very
specific on which ports for which hosts.  The big arguement is do we
allow all ports from GREEN->YELLOW or have limited port like incoming.
 I prefer limited ports.

Where do you place VPN server.  Depends on how much access a VPNed
hosts gets to the network.  Limited access then place it in the DMZ
with Web and Mail.  If it needs full you can still do that with ports
open from the VPN server into GREEN.

I would place DB server in the GREEN zone with specific port(s) open
between YELLOW and GREEN for data to flow.  I would place AD and other
things like that in GREEN too.

good luck!