[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 08:00:11 EDT 2011

Paul,

LTE is Long Term Evolution (seems telcos cook up more 'alphabet soup' than
the military). Functionally it is 4th gen technology that is ~ 10 times
faster than 3rd gen systems (CDMA & current GSM). Technically it is a total
IP system, i.e., both the voice and the data are IP packets. You may have
noticed AT&T commercials to the effect that you could talk & download
simultaneously with AT&T but not Verizon, LTE will fix that.IIRC, even
Sprint, currently using Wimax for their 4G system, has plans to implement
LTE at some point in the future. So when ALL the majors go to LTE, coverage
should become a non-issue (again, assuming they don't do anything evil
regarding roaming charges). It is also a GSM technology, so should
eventually work worldwide so all phones will be "world phones" (I also have
a daughter who works with MSF, leaves for Nigeria on Tu, so would be nice
for her to have one device that could work anywhere just by swapping out a
sim chip where she currently has two handsets).