[ale] VPS or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 31 17:28:25 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 17:23 -0400, David Hillman wrote:
> My main problem is how to properly get the MySQL database files
> without screwing something up.  Is there a better solution to the
> problem?

Use MySQL's built-in replication.  It is near-real-time.  You'll need to
monitor it for failures, though.

The MySQL servers that I have setup with replication, I have setup to
retain 30 days of binlogs.  That way, if a server falls out and I'm not
around to fix it, I can just resume when I get back.  I had previously
setup for 7 days of binlogs, but that burned me the last time that I
went to Toledo.  The server in my house went offline at 3 AM the night
we left for Toledo, and we were there for nearly two weeks.  When I got
back I had to restore it from a backup and then replay forward, which
was more than a little annoying because you have to do it very carefully
when you have a master/master configuration.  Hopefully, I'll never have
to do that again.

	--- Mike