[ale] .NET considered harmful

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:27:53 EDT 2011

It's not irony that Aaron and I are loud opponents of the coporapist status
quo. It stand as the very antithesis of the philosophy that founded GNU and
allowed the Linux kernel to flourish.

culling is done with the "unsubsribe" button available to everyone
individually. Even though I have been the list admin for a few years now,
and had many a political knock-down, drag out fight, on the list, I have
never dumped anyone off the list because of their attitude, political
leaning, discourse or poor writing skills. I have no intention to ever do
that as I find it to be morally repugnant and the total opposite of the
philosophy behind OpenSource stuff.

That said, I have and will continue to have off list discussions with people
who are attacking individuals on the list. I will not grouse, except as a
retort, to generalized attacks against a group that has voluntary
affiliation. People choose to use an OS, or a bookstore or align themselves
with a political viewpoint. That choice is, when made public in a public
forum, fair game for questioning and/or verbal and philosophical attack. The
ferrocity of such a processes will be determined by the perceived
foolishness or potential harm to others. It is the way most people do things
albeit with not quite so much of a public aspect.

The interesting aspect of this kind of behavior in an email format is it is
preserved for all of posterity and doesn't require that one person
physically shout louder than another in order to be heard. It is, nasty as
it looks, far more civilized than earlier methods of argumentative
discourse. Thankfully, most ALErs are likely supporters of the ban on
dueling :-) I know am. And I'm a mostly lousy shot at 20 paces!

So if someone is offended by the lit gasoline I pour on their economic
methods, use the light of the flames to get a closer look at the
underpinnings of their beliefs and mine. I welcome the scrutiny as I am
always looking to become a better person by finding faults and producing
better methods.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Steve Brown <scbrown3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is not possible to have a meaningful discussion of philosophical or
>> social processes on ALE. The intellectual background of the major
>> participants is simple too insufficient to allow for a high level discussion
>> as current society is in a permanent state of ADHD, 30 second sound bite
>> mode.
>

> Or maybe, and I speak for myself here, ALErs realize such a topic doesn't
> belong within the context of a linux mailing list. Ironically, two of ALEs
> top contributors are responsible for this. The odd thing is, I'm not sure
> exactly what your angle is, what you hope to accomplish, and I'm not sure
> why you choose ALE to be the forum for your politic pushing.
>
> I respect the work you and Aaron do for ALE very much, and I actually do
> enjoy reading Aaron's political ramblings from time to time. I guess it's
> just time for another ALE culling?
>
> Please note I do not necessarily agree or disagree with your political
> philosophies; I simply do not want them to be brought up as they are now
> because it alienates people for really no reason. It is harmfully off topic.
>

> -Steve Brown

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.