[ale] .NET considered harmful

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:21:09 EDT 2011

If the shop was Linux and the candidate had a tom of C# and VisualBasic...

If the shop was all Microsoft and the candidate was a Linux kernel
contributor or a GNU fellow...

Bad for one may be good for another.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Brian Schenken
<brian.schenken at gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe if the article were "Why programmers shouldn't put all their eggs in
> one basket", but this was "Why we don’t hire .NET programmers".   Through
> the article he makes some good points, but his opinions of .net pollute his
> arguments.  My point in previous posts is that if he is looking for folks
> who are happy to tinker with any tech - his own attitude will be an
> obstacle.  He wrote a followup article he links to at the top where he trys
> to be less of an ass, but IMHO just demonstrates that he's not capable of
> stopping.  So, he won't get much more attention from me...
>
> ...but, I was pondering - I wonder if there are some technologies that
> really should raise red flags.  If you were hiring, and you need someone you
> can trust to create good solutions, are there technologies out there that
> might scare you off?  I can think of a couple that I'd have hard time
> imagining  a good case for.  Lolcode... mono...
>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf at wolfhalton.info> wrote:
>
>>  Did you look at the jobs section of their site?  Jerald, I think you are
>> on target.  These people want to hire creatives who create in lots of ways.
>>

>> On 03/29/2011 09:09 AM, Jerald Sheets wrote:
>>
>> Some of this falls under the failure of education, though.
>>
>>  I worked at a small webhosting concern in Baton Rouge that eventually
>> got to the point that we refused to hire graduates from LSU's CS department
>> for much the same reasons.
>>
>>  LSU was turning out Pascal programmers in 1996 with no knowledge of
>> networks (but a limited understanding of protocols) and couldn't
>> troubleshoot anything.  They could program you under the table in Pascal,
>> but had no knowledge of any other arena of programming (Assembler?  VB?
>> C?...these were reserved for engineering majors and were unavailable to CS
>> students except as electives)  Sure, with some work they could pick up the
>> ColdFusion work and the PHP work our developers were doing, but chances were
>> slim (based on our experience).  It had been proven time and time again they
>> were one-trick ponies with blinders on, unwilling to change and unable to be
>> employed if they didn't...USUALLY demanding huge salaries just because they
>> graduated college.
>>
>>  I think the issue more lies in substance.
>>
>>  For instance, I'm a SysAdmin.  I have done a fair amount of ksh/bash
>> and, thanks to Weather.com, was introduced to Perl and have been very
>> happy with it since.
>>
>>  If I come to you for a Sysadmin job, one of the primary distinguishing
>> characteristics of a "Senior" level admin is that they have a language or
>> two to their credit.  No, not necessarily C or Pascal (although they may),
>> but you certainly expect there to be Perl, Shell, perhaps Python, maybe even
>> PHP and other "admin-y" sort of qualifications on there.  If I didn't,
>> wouldn't you consider something to be not quite right?
>>
>>  All I think the author is saying is, if I've got a person who is a
> [...]

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.