[ale] .NET considered harmful

brian.schenken at gmail.com brian.schenken at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:17:57 EDT 2011

I hate emotional evangelism like this... "dignified OS" OS's don't have
dignity, they have function - purpose. "every day spent learning a
Microsoft kitchen takes TWO days to unlearn, " Bologna. Changing languages
is hard, it doesn't matter from what to what. That's why I try not to work
on more than one project at a time.

I started off in PHP, MYSQL, BASH, and a bit of Javascript. I was tinkering
with some rinky dink internal sites at work, and personal stuff on the web
BECAUSE there was no budget, I was fascinated by it, and I had nothing to
lose. Years - and many many LAMP projects - later I chose to use flash for
a project and learned AS2 BECAUSE I had a bit of a budget and needed to
make a database driven ***pretty*** visual display. A couple years later I
struggled for about 6 months to learn visual studio and get used to vb.net
BECAUSE I'm making tools for windows servers / a .net site that the web
developers and others at my company need to be able to manipulate. At the
same time I've further developed my BASH and PERL scripting BECAUSE a lot
of our stuff is on ye ole solaris/linux machines. Without my evangelism, my
company is beginning a migration to hosting all of our services to red-hat.
I hate Red-Hat, but I'm glad to work with linux - and because of where
we're heading I am taking some Java courses. I just wrote my first
minecraft module - weeee!

Because of my ambiguity - and laziness, I'm not great at any one thing.
Luckily, I've never needed to be. My stuff works and I'm usually happy with
whatever bits and pieces I chose. More importantly: my Baws is happy, and
my users are happy.

So, you can't honestly describe me as a .net guy, or a linux guy, or a perl
dude.. etc. Every time I've made anything I've started by considering what
my options were, who would/could support it, what server would be hosting
it, how well it would jive with what we have in place already, etc etc. I
love some of the tools/languages I've worked with, but I work hard not to
let my admiration of or comfort with a technology have too much influence
on the solutions I recommend or develop.

There are times when .net is the best solution. Yep, BEST. And it's not
just the crappy / redundant jobs, sometimes there's a really deep,
challenging project (I'm talking working with sockets, threads, file I/O
here - the good stuff) that would be best done with .net. There are times
when fast, stable, perl would be better suited. On occasion you need free,
and DIY - but some needs call for something bloaty, expensive and
externally supported. The more impartial you are the more valuable your
advice will be. A slick IDE is worth using, it's also handy to be able to
drop below the IDE and understand the raw technology - HTTP GET and POST
for example. The article seems to make that same point, but seems to claim
that it's something to do with Microsoft - that's just technology in
general.

My point is, in many cases we are trusted with carte blanche control of a
project. I think it's awful to betray that trust with hangups like the ones
this dude seems to flaunt. I will proudly place vb.net on my resume along
with the other technologies I've used. I'll put DotNetNuke above Drupal,
because that's alphabetical. If this guy were to interview me and ask me to
justify it I would turn the question back on him: "Can't you think of any
scenario where .net would be the best choice?" If he says no or gives some
McDonalds metaphor - I think I'd say he failed the interview. I'd rather
work for a Baws that could see the elegance or efficiency of a solution,
despite the language it's written in.