[ale] [OT] rant - decadence in society - DRM

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:58:32 EDT 2011

Well said, Mike.  I agree religion has nothing to do with it.  I also think
that we are forgetting stimuli in our society has a big effect on how people
think, or whether they think at all.  In a recent article in Newsweek,
researchers showed how the decision center in our brain will shut down when
presented with too much information (i.e., stimuli).  It's especially bad
for people that aren't able to tune out or filter that stimuli (ADD?).
 Those people become nervous wrecks when asked to make a quick decision from
a number of choices.  Even the people that are very good at ignoring the
stimuli eventually become frustrated when the number of choices increase
beyond a certain point--irrational behavior sets in then.  I suppose it's
similar to how Dolphins will become depressed or commit suicide (stop
breathing) when they experience auditory sensory overload; the ones that are
especially sensitive tend to go first.  The documentary, The Cove, was
heartbreaking to watch because of that effect.

Lack of sleep also wrecks havoc with the decision centers of human beings.
 An article in Newsweek showed how losing just a few hours of sleep will
dramatically decrease memory efficiency over a period of time.  It can even
lead to depression.  Lack of sleep is far worse than lack of food.  Our
fast-paced society is to blame for this, leading to frayed nerves and quick
tempers.  We simply aren't built to process tremendous amounts of
information like computers, and we definitely aren't built to process that
information rapidly; we are only built to quickly notice patterns and
movement in the environment.  Our memory is the first to play tricks on us
when we are asked to perform a task for which we weren't designed to do.
 The book, Music and Memory, describes the interplay of short-term and
long-term memory as a feedback loop that needs time (and rest) to work
properly.  We are nothing but nervous, babbling wrecks without proper
functioning memory and decision centers.