[ale] [OT] rant - decadence in society - DRM

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Mar 25 03:28:36 EDT 2011

On 03/25/2011 12:16 AM, David Ritchie wrote:
> Another piece, IMO, is that there are more and more people who don't
> believe in a God. As a result, they are not fearful of divine
> punishment. I feel that such individuals may be just a little bit less
> restrained in these areas than those people who do worry about such
> things. They see more upside than downside - and since the moral
> calculation is surpressed and only an economic one remains, there is
> less restraint there.

I must say that I disagree vehemently on this point.  Allow me to
explain why I say that (ironically, I was just a few moments ago having
a very similar conversation with someone else).

Religion has *absolutely* nothing to do with any of this.  A belief in a
diety (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with whether a person has the
ability to critically think about whether their actions are right or
wrong.  In fact, I can think of many situations where the ethical thing
to do is directly opposed to the moral thing to do from a Christian
standpoint.  Religious frameworks are something to never enter a
discussion on "right" and "wrong", IMHO, because nearly every religious
framework has something different to say on issue X for (almost) any
value of X.  I therefore consider the questions of right and wrong to be
something which cannot be suitably based on *any* religious framework
(not just the Christian framework, but *any* framework).  Now I'll grant
that for a Christian, all other diverging frameworks are typically
considered to be "wrong", but that is a point that I will conveniently
ignore since it's tangential at best to this particular thread (and for
the rest of this message I will completely ignore all religious frameworks).

Whether an action is right or wrong from the viewpoint of an individual
depends on the set of rules that they are using to assess such a
question.  The *real* problem, IMHO, is that most people are either
unable or unwilling (more on that in a moment) to apply critical
thinking and reasoning to the decisions that they make and fail to truly
assess what they are doing before they do it.  Think about it this way:
why does someone steal an item from a store?  It could be because:

   * They do not know that it is wrong (maybe they are a child, or
     they have never been taught that it is wrong and why that is the
     case)

   * They think that the "good" that will result from the theft is
     something which outweighs the "badness" of the theft.

   * They think that the other party will suffer no real loss and
     therefore the action cannot be considered to be wrong.

   * They think that they are entitled.

   * They think that they are exempt from legal rules.

   * They think that it's fun.

   * They do not think at all.

It could be for other reasons, too.

Now, the way *I* gauge whether an action is "right" or "wrong" has
nothing to do with what the Bible or the Torah or the Qur'an has to say
about the issue.  Nothing at all.  For that matter, it has nothing to do
with what our legal system has to say about it, as far as I am
concerned:  our legal system is chock full of actions that are deemed to
be illegal, but are not in any way wrong (unless you bring almost any
religion into it).  For example, it is illegal to consume certain
substances (the justification being that an individual will do harm to
oneself by doing so).  It is similarly illegal in most jurisdictions to
attempt to commit suicide (because someone in the government has decided
that it is "wrong" to do so).

In fact, using any religious framework as a template for law has the
effect of imposing a limited set of values held by (one or more)
religions upon all people in the jurisdiction, whether or not they
subscribe to that set of one or more religions that agree on the issue.
  There are *still* laws which are on the books in some states even
though the Supreme Court has ruled them to be unconstitutional and which
are derived from at least one individual's (though frequently more)
perception of a "rule" from a religious framework---that is, the
government has made certain actions illegal not because they cause
anyone harm, but because somewhere, one or more individuals (most likely
"more") believe that the action is "wrong" or "immoral" given their own
personal framework.

Teaching a person to fear punishment, jail, eternal damnation, or
whatever else is no substitute for teaching someone logic, how to apply
logic, and instilling a set of (truly!) universal axioms to go along
with that logic.

As an example:  Is it wrong to stop the beating of a human heart?  If we
look to the Christian framework, the answer is quite clear: thou shall
not kill.  It doesn't say why, nor does it define under what conditions
it would be permissible to break that commandment.  And in the general,
average, everyday world, the answer is almost always "yes, it is wrong
to stop the beating of a human heart."  There is an assumption that the
stopping of a human heart causes some sort of harm.

However, what if the question is asked in the context of a person who is
in the end stages of a fatal cancer?  Or, what about within the context
of a person who has just suffered an injury so severe that it is a
certainty that they will be dead in anywhere from a few minutes to a few
hours?  What if, in either one of the previous contexts, that person
asks for death to come sooner rather than later, knowing that they will
die soon in either instance?  Is it then wrong to stop their heart?  Or
does it, through the set of (admittedly exceedingly rare and
corner-case) circumstances, become the right action to take because it
is the action that will cause that person less harm?

Personally, I could not believe that any diety (assuming the presence
thereof) that is fair (again, assuming and conditional on validity of
last assumption) and just (again, assuming, yada yada) would look at
such an action as a violation.

The more common example is that of self-defense:  is it wrong to defend
yourself if the cost is the life of the person that you are defending
yourself against?  I would say that it is not.  Of course, that depends
on a lot of things, too.  Two more concrete examples on that.

Let's say that we have an individual who spent decades as a locksmith.
Let's assume that they think they are on their front porch, and let's
further assume that they have forgotten their keys.  Let's say that they
know how to defeat the locks on your front door with a minimum of fuss
and therefore that person then does.  They then enter the home, but find
it unrecognizable.  They are disoriented, they are confused.  What is
the correct action, then?  I would say that unless they do something
further to indicate that they are an immediate threat to your person or
property that the correct action would be to invite them in, give them a
cup of tea, coffee, water, something, and call the police non-emergency
number to tell them what has happened and that you think that you have a
disoriented and potentially (legally) incompetent individual.  It would
be wrong to press charges in such an instance, and it would be wrong to
turn them away if they are truly disoriented.  Of course, then it could
be a ruse of sort, but one really cannot afford to make that assumption
without any proof:  any human with a conscience would forever feel guilt
that perhaps they made the wrong assumption.

Now, let's say that we have an individual who forcefully busts your door
down (property is thus already damaged, and this is obviously an
aggressive move).  They are moving quickly and throughout, and you
encounter them.  What do you do?  Do you defend yourself?
Absofsckinglutely you do.  And legally speaking, if they have a gun (and
thus pose an immediate perceived threat to your life, whether it has
bullets or not) or if they come close enough to use a melee weapon then
you absolutely have the right to defend yourself and your family through
the use of deadly force if necessary.  I differ from the law's point of
view slightly:  The moment that you aggressively cross my threshold, I
assume nothing about whether or not the intent is to steal, to kill, or
to do something else altogether.  I don't know about anyone else on this
list, but if someone is in my house that is not supposed to be in my
house and they've acquired that entry through an aggressive means, that
seems enough to fully make me fearful and act to defend (or, of course,
evade if defense is not possible).

What about the example of the theft of a loaf of bread?  A staving
individual who has not eaten in days steals a loaf of bread from a
retailer.  Is that action wrong?  Again, I probably differ from most
people here; I would say that *yes*, it is wrong.  A person who is weak
from starvation would clearly look it, and could ask for a loaf of bread
from the store, anyone working for the store, or anyone else in the
store.  On the *flip* side of the coin, I would also consider it wrong
to deny a request from someone obviously in need if one is able to
fulfill the request.

Another example would be those that stand out and about, loitering at
things like the McDonald's drive-thru in the late hours of the night.
Often they will ask for a dollar or a cigarette.  I will give a
cigarette if asked, but I will never give the money.  I will offer to
get them a meal, though.  Not surprisingly, most of those people refuse:
  they aren't there because they're hungry.  They're there because they
have found that they can convince people that they are hungry and to
simply give them money, which they then use for other things.  If
someone comes up to me and asks me for something that is a bare
necessity, and I can afford to do so, I will simply purchase and give
that to them.  I will never give up the money, even if I have cash in my
wallet (a rare occurrence).  But I will not deprive another person of
their need to eat or drink, either: I will help if I can.

In any case, it's late and I cannot possibly continue.  But I felt that
much at least needed to be said.  If an action by an individual can only
harm that particular individual, it cannot be considered to be wrong
(exception being if the individual does not possess the mental faculty
to be aware of his or her own action).

If an action by an individual causes harm to another individual, it is
most likely wrong (of course there are multitudes of practical
exceptions to that rule, such as performing CPR or abdominal thrusts on
a person, which may injure that person [thus causing harm], but to the
effect that the person may continue to live [thus vastly outweighing the
harm done]).

If an action by an individual restricts the freedom of another
individual (outside of contexts where such restriction is appropriate),
it is most likely wrong.

If an action by an individual ends the life of another individual, it is
most likely wrong (again with exceptions).

And of course, there will likely be people who disagree with some or all
of what I have said, but them's my 2¢.

> A big part of the problem is that societies only
> work well when the bulk of people are self-regulating in their
> behavior - something that is becoming increasingly less common.

I think that this is simply because people do not think or because they
feel entitled; that is, Hanlon's Razor.

	--- Mike