[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Mar 24 16:36:31 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:07 -0400, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Monolithic kernels are not a RedHat thing and never really have been
> except  maybe in the early days.  (I have no direct knowledge, though)

I think it is still considered monolithic even if they are modules and
linked into the kernel at run time.

A microkernel has drivers that communicate with the kernel as a form of
IPC.  The benefit is that failure of a driver in most cases will not
take down a system.  The con is that a micro with this mess of
communication is much harder to implement than a mono.