[ale] my 1st shell script - chk big files

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 02:01:17 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Don Lachlan
<ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org> wrote:
> Git is free software but Github is proprietary and the web service has
> the same anti-free legalese as everywhere else:
> http://help.github.com/terms/

"We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you
provide to the Service. Your profile and materials uploaded remain
yours. However, by setting your pages to be viewed publicly, you agree
to allow others to view your Content. By setting your repositories to
be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and fork your
repositories."

The "legalese" for github is some of the most reasonable I have ever
seen. What fault do you find with it (not necessarily with the part I
quoted)?

> Subversion is an improvement upon CVS, which is an improvement upon
> RCS. I've not picked a "favorite" amongst the distributed systems as
> none do what I want and all do what I need. Preferences vary.

RCS to CVS to Subversion was a relatively direct lineage, but since
then version control has forked wildly. I know people who swear by
mercurial or monotone, and a LOT of people who adore git. To each
their own. As I said, I didn't base my decision on the merits of the
VCS.

> He wrote a 12 line shell script, not Les Miserables. He doesn't need
> to deal with publishing it for people to fork.
>
> Priorities, man...

This is a mindset that some people are working to eradicate, and I
support that movement. Posting code online in any fashion that DOESNT
allow long term attribution and forking is irresponsible.