[ale] which distribution for KVM and OpenECP

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 05:00:35 EDT 2011

Thanks for all of the replies.  So far, I don't think any of the options
will work. Basically, I would need KVM on a single box and a simple
Web-based panel to do certain things:

1. Create and start virtual machine from template (we used a lot of Turnkey
Linux stuff)
2. Pause (standby) virtual machine
3. Check running status, network settings, domain name, etc
4. Backup virtual machine to S3 or any such storage that we might have.  The
Turnkey Linux devices all have facilities for backup of data inside the
machines.  Better yet, having a cron script to do backups automatically
would be nice.

This is meant for programmers, including some Windows people, so no CLI
stuff.  Virtualmin looks promising (love Webmin) but it has some ways to go.
 Something like this might need to be custom-built for our environment.  I
have decided to stay with VMware ESXi for now, with some reduced
functionality.