[ale] lots of patches on Ubuntu today

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Mar 17 16:46:56 EDT 2011

Update.  One of my PPA's is badgerports.org, which includes parts
devoted to mono development.  I found this text on the news section of
the website.

quote on -->
I've more or less decided what to do with *badgerports* going forward. A
final release of Mono 2.6.7, plus MonoDevelop 2.4.1, will be uploaded
for Lucid users. When Mono 2.10 seems ready for use, it will be uploaded
here - which amongst other things will break support for .NET 1.1.
Anyone looking to keep 2.6.7 should start using my new PPA
<https://launchpad.net/%7Edirecthex/+archive/badgerports-throwback>,
which will contain a copy of all the packages currently on *badgerports*
- i.e. those final 2.6.7 packages.
<-- quote off

I'm pretty sure the updates came from there, and I'm pretty sure they're
nothing malicious.  However, I haven't been using mono, and I've
switched my learning project over to C++, although I'm not getting very
far in it.  I may just uninstall mono altogether until I need it again.

Ron

On 03/17/2011 01:57 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> It's been infected with the "high school kissing disease - mono". Use
> your system tools to remove all things mono and all things that use it
> and then add them back and let the package manager pull the best
> choices for requirements.
>
> My systems here often get a large number of updates at a whack
> depending on what packages are installed.
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Randy Ramsdell
> <rramsdell at activedg.com <mailto:rramsdell at activedg.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ron Frazier wrote:
>     > Hi guys.  Ubuntu's update manager wanted to install 118 patches
>     today.
>     > I didn't notice the number before I clicked install.  As it was
>     going
>     > along, I noticed lots of it was the mono libraries.  However,
>     there were
>     > a number of others as well.  Do you guys know of any major
>     security news
>     > or something to trigger this?  Or, just normal stuff?
>     >
>     > Sincerely,
>     >
>     > Ron
>     >
>     it appears your computer has been hacked.

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com