[ale] just installed LibreOffice in Linux, should have been easier

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:29:54 EDT 2011

On 2011/03/14, at 15:16 , Ron Frazier wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Comments below.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

>> On 2011/03/13, at 20:11 , Ron Frazier wrote:
>>
>>> I followed the instructions on the LibreOffice website download
>>> page.
>>> How am I supposed to know there are all these easier methods
>>> elsewhere?
>>>

>> A fair question.
>>
>> GNU / Linux and FLOSS are about freedom and choice and informed
>> control,
>> so there are always lots of choices and the easiest or best option
>> isn't always
>> the most obvious.   My snark came from your misguided comparisons to
>> Mafia$oft windisease, which you seemed to be praising for allowing
>> you
>> NO freedom and NO choice and NO control.
>>

> I was praising the fact that I got LibreOffice up and running on
> Windows
> a heck of a lot faster and easier than I did in Linux by following the
> most obvious method of installation.  Granted, there was an easier
> method I didn't know about at the time.
>
>>  This was a repeat of your lopsided comparison of file transfer
>> speeds
>> where you shackled Linux to the
>> leaden weights of a closed source, proprietary, alien file system
>> before the race and then praised the guy that forged and locked those
>> shackles in place for appearing to be faster.
>>

> I guess there is no fair way to do that test.  What I was really
> comparing was user experience on one OS vs the other OS.  I didn't
> want
> to do the test from the system drive back to the same drive.  The only
> destination drive I had was formatted to NTFS.  So, Linux apparently
> cannot transfer to NTFS as fast as from EXT4, and Windows cannot
> transfer to EXT4 at all.  So there's no real way to do the test that
> isn't apples and oranges.  Even with Windows, I was sort of
> complaining
> about the fact that I was getting 60 MB / sec across a SATA interface
> that should be capable of 300 MB / sec.  The fact that Linux was doing
> 30 MB / sec, which I can do to a USB 2.0 drive, while I was testing on
> SATA, was even more annoying.
>
>> Mac is an expensive Apple. Windisease is a worm ridden, rotten to the
>> core Apple.  Linux is a vast array of fresh and healthy (but
>> sometimes
>> tart...) citrus fruits, free for the picking. Without a major
>> effort to account for
>> the weight of
>> commercial roadblocks and restrictions that are tipping the scales,
>> almost any level of direct comparison across the proprietary divide
>> is
>> inaccurate and unfair.

I realized I need to expand the Mac analogy to read:
"Mac is an expensive, overly polished Apple with a very solid and
FreeBSD core."  :-)

> This is probably a flame war for another day, but here's how I see it.
> Let's discount the last 5 years.  For the 20 years prior to that, if
> you
> wanted a GUI based computer that's relatively functional, stable,
> usable, and affordable, you bought a PC with Windows.

You obviously know nothing of computer history.

Mafia$oft  didn't have a viable (stable, functional) GUI offering until
windisease 3.1 was released in 1992.  Versions prior to the 3.0 1990
release, were clumsy layers on top of Me$$yDOS. As always, the
criminal computer corporation played the assimilator, not the innovator.

Mac and Amiga, with fully integrated GUI systems, the later also being
the first complete, multi-media, multi-processor desktop system running
a priority preemptive multi-tasking operating environment, were
available
in 1984 and 1985 respectively.  Amiga, of course, became the template
for every personal computer design since.

The rest of your arguments a moot as they are based an entirely flawed
premise.

[snip moot points]

>> Still, while your platform comparisons are invalid, your observations
>> about
>> Linux software installation needing simplification have merit.
>>

> Wow!  Does that mean I'm no longer the black sheep of the family?  8-)

No, it means that even a broken clock is right twice a day.  :-)

>> Not surprisingly,
>> an answer to your concern from the FLOSS community is in the works:
>>
>> According to the lead article in the Newsdesk section of the April
>> 2011 Linux
>> Format magazine, a collaborative developer group that is being
>> supported by
>> most all the major distros has emerged to work on a unified FLOSS
>> software
>> repository and installation API.  The Project Bretzn goals are to
>> simplify
>> software access and installation across all the mainstream Linux
>> distro
>> choices.  The article notes that if Canonical is willing to make
>> their
>> "Software Centre" available under a different license, the unified
>> repository and installation API could be available in as little as 6
>> months.
>>

> Actually, I think that project is really cool.  If they can make it
> work, I think it will be much easier for more people to use Linux.
>
>> “The current package
>> managers expose way too much
>> complexity to the end user. The normal
>> user doesn’t care about dependencies,
>> libraries and other internals. They care
>> about screenshots, descriptions,
>> ratings, tags, comments,
>> recommendations from friends and
>> other features that current package
>> managers don’t provide,”
>>
>> Video of the meeting is at<http://youtu.be/BHeP2ZBwS_U>
>>

> Just out of curiosity, how did you get the text?  Do they publish
> their
> articles on the internet?  I've started reading Linux User and
> Developer, which may be the same publisher.  It would be neat to get
> that online.  That's a neat article you quoted.  Those British
> magazines
> are beautiful, but SOO expensive.

I'm still finding Linux Format magazine worth the investment.
Definitely
the most broadly informative of the Linux mags I know of, at least for
those of us outside the sysadmin and development domains.

All of the issues are available to subscribers for viewing and download
in pdf format - I cut and pasted the text from that - but I don't know
if they
allow non-subscriber access to older issues.

Check out  LinuxFormat.com and see.  They also maintain TuxRadar.com,
which has lots of reviews and podcasts and such.

peace
aaron