[ale] just installed LibreOffice in Linux, should have been easier

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 14 16:05:06 EDT 2011

Hi JD,

Now that I know the PPA's exist, I'm going to try to use them
preferentially (or repositories) to other methods.  I have a friend that
likes to say, you don't know what you don't know.  Oh well.

Here's an update on my LibreOffice install.

On PC #1, I had originally installed with dpkg from the DEBS
directories, as mentioned.

Next, I tried these commands.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

After the third command, it got to the point where it summarizes what
it's going to do and asks if you wanted to proceed.  I expected a whole
bunch of things to be updated, but that's not what it said.  It was
going to update 1 thing and install about 45 others.  This didn't sound
right.  I decided to remove the old install of LibreOffice.  I went to
Synaptic and searched for libreoffice and found about 35 entries.  I
went back to the terminal and entered:

sudo aptitude --purge purge libreoffice*
sudo aptitude --purge purge libreoffice3-*
sudo aptitude --purge purge libreoffice3*
sudo aptitude --purge purge libobasis3* (I think.)

This still didn't get rid of all the libreoffice entries in Synaptic.
I'm not sure what was wrong with these commands.  Finally, I just went
into Synaptic and manually checked each item and said to remove it.
After that was done, I used these commands to reinstall LibreOffice from
the PPA.

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome

As far as I can tell, I now have LibreOffice properly installed AND
properly linked to Synaptic / Apt for my auto updates, hopefully.  I
went in and set the security settings the way I wanted, so I think I'm
good to go.  Now, I have 1 more Linux machine to install it on, 3
Windows machines to check the configuration, and 2 Windows machines to
remove OpenOffice from and install LibreOffice and configure.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 03/14/2011 10:47 AM, JD wrote:

>> This is another post I'm saving for later reference.  That's good
>> info.  LibreOffice wasn't originally in the Ubuntu Repositories, so I
>> didn't use synaptic.  Again, I don't wish to get rid of it, so this
>> is all hypothetical.
>>
>> For PC #1, I used this command, per the LibreOffice website, executed
>> from within each of three DEBS directories extracted from tarballs.
>>
>> |sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>> |
> I avoid doing direct package installs as much as possible and use a
> PPA instead. This way I get updates to the programs with my nominal
> weekly apt-get update/upgrade process.  This isn't always possible,
> but the last 3 yrs, I suppose I've installed less than 5 apps across
> all the machines I manage outside a PPA or distro source.

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com