[ale] Where to get some Hard Drive mounting screws?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Mar 14 15:33:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 12:21 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> writes:
>
> > On Sunday 13 March 2011, Ron Frazier wrote:
> >> I have a few screws sitting around. If you wanted to mail me one of
> >> yours, so I could match the thread size, I could mail yours and 4
> >> others back. I doubt the heads would be the same shape. Or, you could
> >> check the stores Scott suggested. Radio Shack may even have them, or
> >> any computer repair shop. Email me privately if you want to do
> >> something via postal mail.
> >
> > Instead of mailing twice, you can probaby match them up with this.
> > http://alt-config.net/sg_lineup.jpg
> > (Not mine BTW, snagged from the web six years ago)

> Cool information!  Mine look like type A.

Take a screw up to your nearest Lowes or Home Depot.  They have both SAE
and Metric thread guides in the hardware department and you can rapidly
tell if you have SAE (10, 14, 1/16, etc) or Metric (M3, M5, M7).  That
way you will know for sure.  I bought one of the little plastic threatd
guides, they sell, many years ago.  My 3-1/2 floppy drives all seem to
have an M3 size and thread.  My 5-1/4 HD's seem to all be 6/32's.  The
laptop HD's are back to M3's.

My guess.  Fine thread and skinny is going to be M3.  Little fatter and
a lot thicker, and you've got a 6/32.  In that image - B and E both look
like 6/32's I have here.  C and D both look like M3's.  And the side by
side comparison between them look exactly like what I see here.

> -derek

Regards,
Mike