[ale] just installed LibreOffice in Linux, should have been easier

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Mar 12 12:19:58 EST 2011

Ok. I've had my coffee now and seen the response saying the same thing as mine over 12 hours ago.
-jt

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 3/12/2011   12:16 PM >>>
I just pointed to the LibreOffice repository and when I told it to install LibreOffice, it replaced the OO components.
I use openSUSE 11.3, so ymmv with other distros.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Ron Frazier <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> 3/11/2011   08:11 PM >>>
I just got LibreOffice installed in Linux.  I got it done.  But, it was
much more difficult than it should have been.  These are problems the
developers must fix if they want wide acceptance of Linux outside of the
ubergeeks.

Steps to remove OpenOffice on Windows:

01) Access programs and features menu.
02) Select OpenOffice and click uninstall.

Steps to remove OpenOffice on Linux:

01) Access the software center
02) Select OpenOffice word processor and click remove.
03) Select OpenOffice spreadsheet and click remove.
04) Select OpenOffice database and click remove.
05) Select OpenOffice presentation and click remove.
06) And do the same for 1 or 2 more.
07) Access Synaptic package manager.
08) Search for openoffice.
09) Filter by installed programs only.
10) Manually select each of about a half dozen items and select complete
removal and apply.

Steps to install LibreOffice on Windows:

01) Download and save the installer.
02) Double click it.
03) Follow the prompts.

Steps to install LibreOffice on Linux:

01) Download and save a main tar ball.
02) Double click on it to extract it.
03) Download and save a help tar ball.
04) Double click on it to extract it.
05) Go find and double click on readme file and read it.
06) Open terminal and manually change to a very long path name directory
for the main set of files.
07) Change to the DEBS directory.
08) Implement the sudo dpkg command with specific syntax from the readme
file.
09) Change to the desktop integration directory.
10) Implement the sudo dpkg command again.
11) Change to the help files DEBS directory.
12) Implement the sudo dpkg command again.

Windows wins the least pain in the butt contest with this hands down.
This is utterly ridiculous.  If I were to recommend to a family member
or friend that they use Linux and try to explain the procedure to
install an application like this, they'd laugh me right out of the house
and say they'll just stick with Windows.  Now, obviously, I CAN do all
these things, and I DID, and I WILL on my other PC's, but I shouldn't
HAVE to.

Also, this should have been in the Ubuntu repositories, or LibreOffice
should provide a repository of their own.  As far as I know, I
completely bypassed the Synaptic / Apt package manager.  So, does anyone
know how I can get Synaptic / Apt to understand that his new application
is there and auto update it?

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier