[ale] Ubuntu to Debian Switch?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:12:44 EST 2011

David Tomaschik wrote:
> I do NOT want to discuss Ubuntu's ethics on this thread.  There's a
> separate thread for that.
>
> Has anyone switched from Ubuntu to Debian and kept /home around?  I
> currently have an eCryptFS-encrypted /home dir, and I'd like to keep
> that encryption, my preferences, and my data intact.  /home is a
> separate partition (actually an LV on LVM on software RAID-1), so I
> should just be able to blow Ubuntu away and install pure Debian,
> right?  (I'm thinking Debian testing...)

there was a discussion in debian-user recently with someone wanting to
go from Ubuntu to Debian in order to avoid the Unity desktop:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/398503/focus=398513

it might have some ideas.  also the d-u list is pretty informative and
i'd highly recommend you subscribe should you get involved with Debian.
  lots of info to be gained there.

having used both Ubuntu and (predominately) Debian (I run a mix of
Testing & Unstable), I'd backup my data and do a clean install.  then I
would restore my /home directory and see what happened.

you know, I'd make a backup of my system then I'd change the
sources.list to point to Debian's Stable sources.  this way it shouldn't
break any special video drivers, etc. on your running system (and if it
does you have a backup).  afterward you can add Testing sources and pin
them to whatever priority you wish.

at this writing Debian just had a release so there won't be much of a
difference with Testing and Stable for a little while (IMHO).

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/