[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good...

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Mar 7 20:37:36 EST 2011

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 18:42:52 -0500
Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's sort of like your employer mandating what bank you use and the
> bank charging you 75% to cash your paycheck.

When you say "you" in this context are you referring to the end user or
the Banshee/Gnome teams?

I'm assuming you mean me, the end user, but I may be wrong.  What
Canonical is doing to me as an end user is far less grim than this.
They aren't taking any money directly from me.

I can still install Banshee from upstream, right?  They're not
mandating anything, they're changing the default.

> Even if legal, most people would find that unethical.  And unethical
> is something we don't want associated with linux.

I haven't given this whole situation a lot of thought.  We probably
wouldn't be having this discussion if Banshee were BSD licensed.

It does feel like a cheap move, though...  I'm going to wait and see
how it all plays out before I start to have feelings about the
matter :).

Pat