[ale] Best 2TB drives to extend my RAID array?

Robert rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Thu Mar 3 14:54:00 EST 2011

>My 1.8TB RAID(10) array is close to filling, and I'm looking to buy some
>additional drives to extend it.  I was thinking that I'd buy a pair of
>7200RPM 2TB drives to effectively double my raid size,

I'd recommend that you buy drives from two different manufacturers... I
used to buy matched pairs, till I had a raid1 array go south with failures on
both drives. :-(  I also recommend a complete read/write badblock check and
running SMART diagnostics before putting the new drives in service.

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.