[ale] [OT] Databases of viruses/malware

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 2 22:01:48 EST 2011

Pat,

A valid question. The best way to fix a virus is never to catch one.
However, the post JD wrote which I replied to assumed a virus had been
detected and he was discussing how to get rid of it. I'll give you the
best answer I can. If I wipe the drive, and reinstall the system and non
infectable data files, then I would trust the computer. Then, I would do
routine virus scans, have live on the fly scanning active, and have data
execution protection on in the OS (if it's Windows) and the browser (if
it's IE). I would watch for anomalous events such as crashes, non
requested reboots, error messages, etc. I would watch for reports of odd
computer behavior from the users, missing or corrupt data, reports like
"I got this email from IT and clicked the link" or "what was that urgent
system maintenance thing yesterday (when there was none), etc. If I have
much probable cause at all, I'll reboot with a few different AV rescue
CD's and scan independent of the OS. For truly sensitive PC's and users,
I might wipe the drive and reinstall just based on probable cause alone.
Of course, I would immediately pursue and try to confirm any reports of
active viruses by the AV scanner.

To actually answer your question, there is no sure fire way to detect
these things. Just like organized criminals, the really good ones never
get caught. There are millions of users with infected computers who
don't even know it. The virus writers use the compromised PC's to join
bot nets, silently commit cyber terrorism, and steal confidential data
which is sold on the black market.

Security professionals feel free to jump in here.

Sincerely,

Ron