[ale] Pentium vs AMD vs DDR3 based motherboard

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:18:33 EDT 2011

DDR2 is "good enough." In fact, in some instances, DDR2 is faster than DDR3.
If you want to "go cheap" for now and have a DDR2 system go with that. DDR3
has higher bandwidth, but also higher latency. This makes it "better" for
streaming type applications while DDR2 is somewhat "better" for randomized
things. DDR3 runs at lower voltage and thus generates less heat and
therefore costs less to operate. While true, this has minimal effect in a
[typical] home environment but can have a significant impact on a data
center with multitudes of TB of RAM continually "burning up the electrons"
so to speak.

Of more concern for you is that DDR3 is cheaper, because the transition has
already taken place for it to be the "standard" vs DDR2 RAM. However, it
will cost you more in net because you have to replace MOBO, CPU & RAM. If
you want to feel more secure about being able to upgrade the memory in the
future, DDR3 is the way to go. It and the motherboards/CPUs requiring it
will be available much longer than DDR2.

I've never been much of an upgrade fan. Being in the hardware business for
>20 yrs, my motto is "Better, Faster, Cheaper, each iteration" it sort of
ties in with "Moore's Law" that computing power doubles every 18 months. Why
put good money after bad with new parts on an old motherboard when a new one
is much more powerful and now a days on less energy consumption. If you want
a great front end system look at an Intel Atom on nVIDIA ION chipset system
or better yet an AMD Hudson E-350 that runs on 18 Watts for CPU and
integrated GPU combined.

Regards,
GC