[ale] GIF vs. PNG vs. MNG vs. JS (was LightScribe for Linux)

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 21:46:52 EDT 2011

Meanwhile, back at the PNG Wikipedia page...
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/PNG_format>

The PNG format didn't get ratified as an ISO/IEC standard
until 2003 (ISO/IEC 15948:2003), which I'm sure was MafiaSoft's
excuse for trying to blockade another Open Public Standard
by not supporting PNG in IE.

Both the MNG and APNG animation extensions of the PNG format
would seem to be depricated:
===
Animation
PNG itself does not support animation at all. MNG is an extension to
PNG that does; it was designed by members of the PNG Group. MNG shares
PNG's basic structure and chunks, but it is significantly more complex
and has a different file signature, which automatically renders it
incompatible with standard PNG decoders.

The complexity of MNG led to the proposal of APNG by developers of the
Mozilla Foundation. It is based on PNG, supports animation and is
simpler than MNG. APNG offers fallback to single-image display for PNG
decoders that do not support APNG. However, neither of these formats
is currently widely supported. APNG is supported in Firefox 3.0 and
Opera 9.5.[16] The PNG Group decided in April 2007 not to embrace APNG.
[17] Several alternatives were under discussion, ANG, aNIM/mPNG, “PNG
in GIF” and its subset “RGBA in GIF”.[18]

===

The actual wikipedia page properly links the citations, of course.

peace

aaron