[ale] svideo recorder to hard disk

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jun 26 13:45:31 EDT 2011

On 06/26/2011 11:13 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
>
> Is there a device that can record from Svideo input (among others) along
> with audio to an internal hard drive and/or to an external usb/firewire
> drive ?
>
> I want to be able to capture the output of a computer to a recording
> device such as vcr but vcr is tape based and I want this to a hard drive
> based vcr.

More detailed requirements will yield better responses.  You need 3 things.
1) svideo + analog audio converter
2) some sort of computer to convert the input into a disk file
3) Disk storage

Any single device that doesn't do all those things won't work for you.

A few requirements questions:

a) Is this for work or home?

b) Can the recording device be another computer?

c) Which **exact** other inputs must you have?

d) What format does the output file need to be? MPG, AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV,
XVID, something with DRM capabilities?

e) What is your budget?  $20, $100 or $1000?

f) How automatic/simple must this be?

g) Are there any OS limitations?

h) Do you have any specific playback device requirements? Recording
something that doesn't play on your target player isn't very useful.

Basically, there are lots of ways to solve this issue. A laptop with a
$30 TV-tuner will work, but getting Grandma to "record" isn't easy.

An old TiVo can do this too by using the normal inputs, so finding a
used Series 2 TiVo may be the easiest answer.

If you also want to record 1080i component, then the answers become more
limited and specific. The price goes up too.

Better requirements needed ... or you can drive to Fry's and ask for
help there.  Based on your questions the last 6 months, people may make
assumptions about your goal. Is that what you want?