[ale] C Compiler for Linux

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 18:24:47 EDT 2011

Good choices! People can make entire careers just writing make files :-)

http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html
and the best intro to vim is in vim itself. Pop up a shell and just type
vimtutor

There are a gazillion vim plugins (adds to the .vimrc file or literal 'load
on demand' tools) that can make things better or just clutter the screen.
One of the most useful ones I use is screen splitting so I can have two
files visible at once.
http://vim.runpaint.org/navigation/splitting-screen/

FLTK is an easy and light gui tool kit. wx is bigger and cross platform. QT
is bigger still and also cross platform.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Ron Frazier
<atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>wrote:

> **
> Hi Rich,
>
> Even though we've discussed some of this on the phone, I thought I'd share
> it with the group.
>
> I've been threatening to relearn programming for 15 years, and I'm hoping
> to actually carry out the threat.  15 years ago, I programmed in Clipper, a
> C like database language.  I posted a thread a few months back on this list
> talking about developing in C#.  However, the people here convinced me that
> C++ would be better.  I now hope to plow through the book "Programming
> Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup (the inventor of
> C++).  I'm hoping to do cross platform development.  I'm going to use Visual
> C++ Express on Windows, which is free.  On Linux, I've hit on the GCC
> compiler, as suggested by others.  I don't know how to use the make system,
> at this point, but compiling small programs with a few source files seems to
> be very simple.  I believe you can go through this entire book without an
> IDE.  I know that the gedit editor in Ubuntu does syntax highlighting and
> auto indention for C / C++ files.  I'll probably start out using that.  I
> may also try VIM as I've had just enough experience with VI in the past to
> be dangerous.  (I basically know the insert, delete line, and write file
> commands.)  Obviously, I would have to learn more about VIM for serious
> programming, but you can do a lot with just those commands, although not
> very efficiently.  By the way, this book also talks about a cross platform
> minimal graphics toolkit called FLTK (faster than light toolkit, I think)
> which can be used to put basic windows and buttons on the screen, etc.  When
> I graduate to an IDE, I'll probably try NetBeans or Eclipse.  I believe
> Eclipse can run on Windows too.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron
>

> On 4/20/2011 11:47 PM, Richard Faulkner wrote:
>
> Can anyone point me to a preferred C compiler or developer environment for
> Fedora 12-14?  Time to play code monkey and don't want to do it on a Window$
> box (for which I've done C++ in the past upon).
>
> Thanks!   RinL

> Ron Frazier
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT c3energy.com