[ale] Tomato as a bridge

Watson, Keith krwatson at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 23 10:17:17 EDT 2011

Chris,

I think what you want is client mode. This will connect the device to your wireless network and allow any devices connected to the wired ports to be on the network. The upside is that you get full wireless link bandwidth.

Another option is to set up the device as a WDS node. This cuts the bandwidth in half but allows the device to be a client and an access point at the same time. You can connect to the wired ports and associate with the device wirelessly as an access point.

WDS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

>From your description you are not trying to extend the range of your wireless network and given that you are connecting an entertainment system you want all the bandwidth you can get so client mode seems to be your best option.

How to: Set Tomato Firmware for Wireless Client Modes
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3810281/How-to-Set-Tomato-Firmware-for-Wireless-Client-Modes.htm

keith

--

Keith R. Watson                        Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support professional Lead           College of Computing