[ale] linux for an old compaq

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Wed Jun 22 23:27:56 EDT 2011

On 06/22/2011 09:12 PM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Sister-in-law has a compaq Presario 1675.  Anybody know of a *nix that
> will install a gui onto this old box?  Lubuntu and F15 both will not
> (Kernel does not support the hardware from boot up).

I ran X on a machine that old using Debian 4.0/etch (I think). I won't
swear the kernel in the latest release has the modules you want, but
it'd be my best suggestion. I'll also say her machine may not be up to
spec to run X, even if it's installable. Try to install	 to CLI only,
then install xdm and xorg afterwards.

I've not run PuppyLinux but it and a few others are intended to run on
very minimal systems. Not sure how well it works.

-L