[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jun 22 14:32:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 12:54 -0400, brock at quantifier.org wrote:
> I saw that one, too, though I thought it was unique to the netbook
> installation.  You can install the gnome desktop by doing:
>
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
>
> and then choose gnome at your little splash screen.  I liked that
> funny
> large icon on the left thing on my little asus, but otherwise, I got
> rid
> of it.

You could install a subset of the GNOME desktop by installing
ubuntu-desktop on previous releases, yes.

You might simply have to install the gnome metapackage to make that
happen now.  Not sure.

But one thing is for sure: Canonical says that the official distribution
will not support the GNOME user interface as of the next LTS release.
Bad idea, IMHO.  Whether or not they will have GNOME 3 available is up
in the air, and whether it will actually work or not is also up on the
air.

	--- Mike