[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Tue Jun 21 17:07:50 EDT 2011

On 06/20/2011 11:01 PM, Pat Regan wrote:
> You do have the choice, even if you limit yourself to Ubuntu.  There's
> Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu.

Kubuntu is the 60% release that nobody pays attention to. For years, I
recommended Kubuntu because it was less restrictive than (GNOME) Ubuntu.
Unfortunately, I've also watched serious bugs left untouched while
similar bugs in the main (GNOME) Ubuntu were fixed. As such, I started
recommending (GNOME) Ubuntu because it has fewer major bugs. And I
*hate* recommending GNOME.

I run XDM and Fluxbox because I'm willing to accept that tradeoff of
freedom for Mac-ness; if KDE is going to be treated that way, Canonical
should have the balls to say so.

-L