[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Jun 20 22:13:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:59:56 -0400
Ron Frazier <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> To each his own, I guess, but I'm afraid I would have to disagree
> with some of this.  The basic controls of a computer are pretty much
> universal at this point, and have been developed and proven over
> decades of use.  There aren't too many people in developed countries

My mother would has no idea how most of these "basic controls" that are
"pretty much universal" work.  :)

She has no idea how to close windows, she has no idea that there is a
list of open windows in the panel at the bottom of the screen.

My girlfriend sent her a link to some pictures on Facebook a few weeks
ago.  My mother told me she loved the pictures but she didn't
understand how to work the Facebook window.

It seems that when you open Facebook photo galleries the new window
doesn't have the usual browser controls.  She couldn't figure out how
to "get out of" the pictures.  She ended up rebooting her computer so
she could start over.

I really can't wait to see what she does when I upgrade her next time I
travel back home.  I think Unity (or Gnome Shell) was designed with her
in mind.

I doubt I'll make it up there before the next Ubuntu release, so she'll
probably get the next version of Unity by then.

Pat