[ale] Cutting the satellite

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Sun Jun 19 22:53:15 EDT 2011

On 06/17/2011 02:33 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I don't have the problem of watching too much TV. I have a condition
> that prevents me from sitting still enough to actually watch TV.
> Honestly I may watch 2 hours a week.

You listed 8 channels you watch but only 2 hours a week. Riiiiight...

> I don't watch brain rot.  I don't even know what the
> local stations are because they broadcast brain rot

I've seen those 8 stations, Chris. :)

I'm big into on-line streaming; as those have added more and more
commercials, I've become less of a fan, since it now takes 32 minutes to
watch a 30 minute show. They're still better than
broadcast/cable/satellite because there aren't commercials IN the
shows,taking up screen space.

Generally, I and my kids watch PBS (which is mostly on-line) or videos I
pre-screen. Hulu Plus gives you more shows but AFAIK the same
commercials. Blech. I've used both Netflix and Blockbuster, good and bad
with both, really liked the commercial-free streaming from Netflix.

Also, there is a tremendous amount of (beer) free content on-line; I
haven't tried Boxee or such, but that may help. Lots of every kind of
content.

Dump the satellite. It's all brain rot.

-L