[ale] Compiling from source

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Fri Jun 17 21:25:30 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM, David Hillman <hillmands at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't the whole point of open source to be able to build from the source
>> code without too much trouble?
>
> No. The point is that you can read the source code. If you have the
> facility to compile it, then you can fix problems on your own and
> maybe send your changes back to the author for future inclusion.
>
> Then there are the situations where the license calls for the author
> to open the code (read GPL). They have to make the code under license,
> and any changes they made to it, available. But that does not mean
> they have to make the code they wrote independently of it available.
> So it's possible that the code is completely unable to be compiled,
> but you have it anyway.

Actually, GPL pretty much does require you be able to rebuild it.  As
"Corresponding Source" is defined: The “Corresponding Source” for a
work in object code form means all the source code needed to generate,
install, and (for an executable work) run the object code and to
modify the work, including scripts to control those activities.
However, it does not include the work's System Libraries, or
general-purpose tools or generally available free programs which are
used unmodified in performing those activities but which are not part
of the work. For example, Corresponding Source includes interface
definition files associated with source files for the work, and the
source code for shared libraries and dynamically linked subprograms
that the work is specifically designed to require, such as by intimate
data communication or control flow between those subprograms and other
parts of the work.

Specifically, "all the source code needed to generate, install, and
[...] run" implies to me that you must be able to build from that
source.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com