[ale] Compiling from source

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:27:51 EDT 2011

I spent a great deal of time trying to compile the source code for my
Cyberguard SG560 router.  The router has a pretty good Intel ARM system on
chip with a cryptography system that should work great for accelerated
OpenVPN.  It also has support for high availability, etc.  Cyberguard's
build tool chain was no easy to get a hold of because the company was bought
out.  The new company isn't interested in supporting old hardware.  Even
more difficult (or impossible), is getting hold of the Intel Cryptography
library that couldn't be distributed with the source.  Without that library,
a bunch of errors spew up all over the place.  I registered over a month ago
to get the library from Intel and got nothing.  It seems like Intel is only
interested in helping out big companies and their own partners.  I
understand they need to keep a close eye on their cryptography libraries,
but come on.  Maybe it'll be better to just find an open source workaround
to the Intel library.  It doesn't seem like that'll be much fun though.

Isn't the whole point of open source to be able to build from the source
code without too much trouble?  If I want to compile something myself,
whether for security reasons or to make a small change, it shouldn't be an
impossible task.  Actually, it seems finding the source is the easy part;
getting access to the associated libraries can be nearly impossible.