[ale] Atlanta OpenSource Unconference?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Jun 16 16:48:15 EDT 2011

This might be a terrible idea, or a crazy idea, but I'm sure this is a
group that will tell me that.

During this past weekend at SELF, I began to miss ALF. (For anyone who
doesn't know, I was one of the organizers of ALF for its short two
year run.)  I don't have a desire to "compete" with SELF -- they have
a very successful conference, a great group of organizers, and great
momentum going -- but I feel like some sort of event in Atlanta (or at
least the metro area) is only appropriate.

Reading a few things earlier today, an idea came to me for doing an
open-source conference that is targeted specifically at problems users
have.  My thinking is this:

1. Participants submit "questions".
2. Questions are cleaned up by organizers, grouped into tracks, and
placed on site for voting.
3. Participants vote on questions.
4. Organizers seek speakers willing to address the users questions have.

I know it'll be odd in that the topics don't originate from the
speakers, but to me, that's the novelty of it.

Concept feedback?  Desire for an Atlanta Linux/Open Source event again?

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com