[ale] odd email issue

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Jun 15 13:18:19 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Lightner, Jeff wrote:
>> This is what I said about environment.  You believe you're using
>> Sendmail - but what if root is seeing a Postfix installation and trying
>> to use that?   There are many things that can be configured in email
>> setups.   For example here I have some servers using "smarttable" so
>> that emails sent from one domain relay out a host we have Sendmail
>> running on but all other email relays out our Exchange host.
>
> The return error message references sendmail.  Further, postfix is not
> installed.

I think I misunderstood your original message.  1and1 is effectively
bouncing the messages because it cannot find
centosvm.serioustechnology.com?  Is that a correct assessment?

Is it possible that these are an anti-spam measure based on the sending address?

Headers and bounce messages are likely to make obvious what the
problem is.  Maybe the headers are being altered when the alias is
evaluated.  Perhaps $MAILHOST is set in one environment, but not
another.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com