[ale] odd email issue

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Jun 15 09:19:59 EDT 2011

Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> David Tomaschik wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Geoffrey Myers
>> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

>>> The issue is, when I send it from the command line, it is apparently
>>> using my localhost.  When the cron job runs and redirects email via
>>> /etc/aliases, it appears to be using the mail server for my hosting company.
>>>
>>> Why the inconsistency?
>>>
>>> Really, how is this even possible?
>> Do you have sendmail configured to use a relayhost?  Would you mind
>> putting headers from the two different emails on a pastebin somewhere
>> for comparison?
>
> No relayhost.  I'll see if I can get some useful header info.  What
> baffles me is it appears that this one machine uses localhost from the
> command line and my hosting company mail server for cron output.
>
> How is that even possible?

Here's more to this oddity.  I run this on the command line as my normal
user:

date|mail user at domain

where I'm sending email to my email address.  Comes through fine.

If I do the same thing as root, the email does not come through.

????

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."