[ale] [OT] Are iPhone apps $$$ why Android apps are free?

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 17:48:43 EDT 2011

I like both iOS and Android.  There are quality products on both sides.  I
have purchased products from both
camps and love them equally.  If you build a quality product that customers
actually want to use and buy,
there will be no need for lock-in.  To me, lock-in shows a company that is
insecure about their own ability to
innovate and bring value to their customers over time.  I have a few Apple
products and I don't think they
have lock-in at all.  I bought those products because they felt solid and
well-engineered.  However, I like
FOSS, so iPodLinux (uCLinux) runs on my iPod and Android is running on my
iPhone 3G.  Apple police didn't
come banging on my door when I chose to do that.

Apple is one of the few big tech companies that actually cares about open
standards, like XML and HTML 5.  That
extends down to the hardware level.  The chips in their devices tend to be
high quality and work to spec.  Half
of the functionality won't be implement in software.  Soft (Win)modem
anyone?