[ale] [OT] Are iPhone apps $$$ why Android apps are free?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 10 12:06:08 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:13 -0400, Stephen R. Blevins wrote:
> "Vendor Lock-in?"

I will never save Vendor Lock-in in bad.  In fact,  I love it.  I
respect those that get away with it.  Why?  Because they've found a way
to maximize revenue.

You guys treat Apple like the bad guy but the truth is that it is the
customers who have locked their selves up.

Look at the turmoil going on in the PBX market now.  Avaya is known to
have taken lock-in to a new level.  They bought the PBX portion of
Nortel that has no lock-in.  The Nortel dealers are up in arms.

Avaya knows what so many people are learning.  The margins on hardware a
razor thin and it is maintenance services that keep the lights on.  Try
owning an Avaya PBX now without a maintenance contract and see how far
you get.  You don't even have the admin permissions on these systems.

Businesses sell only what customer's buy.  It is the customers that are
buying and enabling this lock-in.

My forecast is that in one year Apple's opinion on Flash will change and
you'll see it on the devices.  Android is going to make that happen.