[ale] OpenVAS and Greenbone Security Assistant

Jim Butler jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:06:08 EDT 2011

Hi everyone..
I sent a message a few weeks back about some problems I was having with
OpenVAS not working as it should after following the installation script
for Debain. I got busy and didn't have a chance to answer the reply I
got. But here is an update:
I went back and purged all packages associated with OpenVAS including
the library file, etc..
I then went back through the script and this time executed one line at a
time and paid close attention to everything. Everything looks good,
right up to the point where I restart Greenbone Assistant. When it
restarts, I get an error (allbeit non-specific). (see below).

/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant restart
Restarting Greenbone Security Assistant: ERROR.

I actually went back and restarted it one more time, just in case the
error was due to the process not yet having been started, but I still
get the error message as above. I even tried

/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant stop
/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant start

but with the same results. I don't know where the log files are for
Greenbone and so I don't know where to check it. I know there must
really be an error because the issue I was having when I wrote the list
about this before, was that when I would launch my browser and go to the
URL on the localhost and then try to sign into Greenbone Security
Assistant, it simply would not authenticate me - and yes - I was very
careful to put in the credentials I had just given in the next step
which was

test -e /var/lib/openvas/users/admin || openvasad -c add_user -n admin
-r Admin

So that's the problem I'm having at this point. I really need to get
this going if I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Butler

P.S. .. I can't remember how to respond to someone's message on the list
and have the response go to everyone. Is that possible and should I do
that, or should I just respond directly to the person's email who
responds to me? Thanks again..