[ale] webalizer history

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Jul 27 14:21:51 EDT 2011

QUESTION:
What do I need to do to start doing incremental Webalizer and recreate webalizer.current and webalizer.hist?

BACKGROUND:
We have some web servers that have webalizer already installed.   This put the files created in /var/www/usage and the webalizer.current and webalizer.hist in /var/lib/webalizer as defined by /etc/webalizer.conf.   Incremental is set to yes.

There is a cron.daily job to run webalizer once a day and presumably this would increment.   However the webalizer.conf specified the file to use as /var/log/httpd/access_log.   The files in /var/www/usage quit being updated around Sep of last year.   The reason it isn’t being updated is because we made a change (presumably Sep last year but I’d have thought it was earlier) to rotate the access_log files so we now have multiple logs with a numeric suffix.

As a test I ran “webalizer access_log.########” on one of these logs and sure enough it updated statistics to show what was in that log.   So far so good.

However, I didn’t realize the incremental setup until after I’d done the above and had unfortunately chosen the latest file.   I now can’t update the statistics using the earlier files (I have them going back to 19-Jul).   I tried moving the stuff out of /var/www/usage and out of /var/lib/webalizer but this didn’t help even if I ran “webalizer –i” which is supposed to ignore the history file and it doesn’t seem to recreate the files.

I found online stuff that talks about converting webalizer.current but nothing that talks about creating it from scratch.    Hence my question.    That is to say I don’t care about the history from last year and simply want to start running webalizer to get the information from the log files I have going back to the 19th of this month.

Jeff Lightner | UNIX/Linux Administrator | DS Waters of America, Inc | 5660 New Northside Drive, Ste 250 | Atlanta, GA 30328
•: (Direct Dial) 678-486-3516 |•: (Cell) 678-772-0018 |  •:jlightner at water.com