[ale] ubuntu install has no $PATH?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jul 25 09:54:03 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 23:18 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:
> I cannot, for the life of me, figure out any way that PATH would not
> be set, unless the user had somehow modified it in a profile file.
> Also, 'cd' and 'ls' should work fine even without a path, as they are
> shell builtins (in bash at least).  So is echo.  Getting a "command
> not found" type error from echo, cd, or ls, would take quite a bit of
> special work -- like some stripped busybox shell with those commands
> missing.

ls is certainly *not* a builtin.  It comes from GNU coreutils:

mbt at aloe:~$ ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 8.5
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie.

cd has always been a built-in (as it must be due to its behavior).
echo, printf, and test have been built-ins in bash for quite some time,
though (there are binaries available for them for older shells that do
not have them built-in).

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                       mike at trausch.us