[ale] [OT] Fwd: Invitation to Atlanta's first Maker Faire

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:49:09 EDT 2011

This came to my attention through a post to the
Eyedrum Art & Music Board of Directors list.
 I'm sure there are many here who would be
interested in a Maker Faire:

*********************
Subject: Maker Faire ATL - Call for Makers - Do you
create/tinker/make/hack/craft/engineer/break/anything else?

Good day!

Do make stuff? Maybe you solder circuits or maybe you know how to silkscreen
or maybe you create things that make people go "What's the point?". Perhaps
you turned a golf cart into a giant moveable cupcake or maybe you figured
out a way to teach science to elementary school kids and make it
interesting.

If any of this sounds like you, I'd like to personally invite you to come
exhibit yourself at Altanta's first ever Mini Maker Faire
(www.makerfaireatl.com). Maker Faires are a celebration of ingenuity,
creativity, and the Do-It-Yourself mindset. These events showcase all of the
unique people who, given the right tools and time, create extraordinary
things. These Faires have been happening across the US since 2006, and we
think it's time to bring the spirit of Makers to Atlanta.

The Faire will be on September 10th from 10am to 5pm in a to-be-decided
corner of Georgia Tech. We're still in the planning stages of it all, so
more specifics will be available later, but at the moment we're sending out
our "Call for Makers." We're looking for men, women, children, and anyone in
between who has something they've made that they want to show off to other
people. I, for example, took an old 1950's rotary payphone and converted it
into a Bluetooth headset - so you just pair with it and then use it like it
was an old payphone. Practical? No. Marketable? Not really. Awesome? Most
definitely.

Our projects don't need a reason - we make to make, and if you have
something you've been working on, or if there's a group of you who have
something you want to show off to others, then September 10th will be your
day. Please check us out at http://www.makerfaireatl.com, look through the
site, and then if you want to join us on the exhibitor side, click on
Participate.

For everyone else, mark your calendars. September 10th is going to be a day
that you wont want to forget. It's free to exhibit, free to come and see,
and free to be amazed.

If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're a very inclusive
bunch, and whether you've got an art, craft, science project, or something
that defies categorization, we want to see it.

Thanks so much,
David Sluder
david.a.sluder at gmail.com