[ale] [OT]Windows Scanning Apps

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jul 17 16:27:35 EDT 2011

On 07/17/2011 02:56 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Anyone know of a good app with which I can replace the one that came
> with my Brother all-in-one?  The Brother has an ADF to scan with and the
> app that came with is doesn't have a way to scan front sides of
> both-sides-printed paper, flip the pile over to get the back sides, and
> then wind up with a single PDF that has interleaved the two scan passes
> together (YES, I know I can do that in Linux after the fact with various
> and sundry tools; I would rather skip that step).  I don't mind paying a
> reasonable amount for the ability - being able to get scans of stacks of
> two-sided paper is important to me.
I have a brother MFC all-in-one, but only use it for scanning and
faxing.  For scanning, I've had good luck with gscan2pdf (GUI to lots of
back end tools).  I've never tried duplex scanning, but the OCR lets you
put the text "under" the image. Like all OCR, it is only 80-90%
effective, but often that is enough. You can always edit the text if
accurate searching is needed.

There is a double-sided option ... I'll test it quick now .... the 3rd
page got stuck in OCR and was using 100% of a CPU for the last 5 min.
Canceled it.  I've never seen that before, but it was a bank statement.
It has been a month since I scanned anything. Never had any issues
before.  Manually moving pages around should be pretty easy, provided
you don't have more than a few at a time or can get the re-shuffle
owrking better than I.

The device is connected to an Ubuntu Server x64 10.04 LTS with LXDE
desktop packages loaded, if that helps.