[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jul 14 12:12:57 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 15:34 +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I once heard a laptop manufacturer's rep say the specs most users have
> for laptops is 4 x 8 core CPUs, 20 TB disk space, 10 GB ram, a full
> size keyboard, a 21 inch monitor and oh, by the way, make it way only
> 4 pounds.  :-)

I'd settle for a AMD 64-bit dual core CPU, 4 GB of RAM, 17" display, 1
TB of storage, an ATI graphics chipset, and a BD-R(E) burner, if we're
talking about what I _want_.  My previous laptop came very close to
that, and it was suitable as a primary workstation probably 90% of the
time.  (The other 10% of the time, I had to go use my desktop, and at
the time that was a very inconvenient thing to do.)

My NUMBER ONE requirement for a laptop, though, seriously?  I have to be
able to keep it alive for a decade.  Even my last laptop, which has
taken a licking and is still ticking in a new life as Erica's laptop, I
do not expect will last a decade.  Reliability and robustness has to be
the number one feature that I would want before I buy another beefy
laptop.  (That is assuming that I don't have to have a beefy laptop for
anything I am doing anytime soon.)

	--- Mike