[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Jul 13 22:44:40 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 17:02 -0400, david w. millians wrote:
>> But I'm weird, and don't really have to have that much umph anymore in
>> a laptop. It's not like I'm going to edit video on it, or compile the
>> OS from scratch. :)
>
> I primarily do development of various types, so beefy (to a sane
> upper-limit) is good.  My desktop, OTOH, can compile the entire linux
> kernel version 3.0.0 (make allmodconfig) in just over 13 minutes.
> That's what I do the majority of my heavy lifting with.  I cannot
> _stand_ to wait for compilation to take place.
>
>        --- Mike

What kind of hardware are you running on your desktop?

I'm in a place where I'm torn between the multiple-computer world, my
technology desires, and my budget (and desire to reduce my
eco-footprint).

I like to keep the "primary" copy of all my important work on my
desktop, and my laptop just checks data in and out, if you will.  This
means running my desktop 24/7, which is not exactly the most budget-
or eco-friendly.

Additionally, I'd also like to have an environment where I can host a
number of VMs for testing/experimentation.

Too many things going on at once...

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com