[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jul 11 14:54:04 EDT 2011

[sarcasm/humor]

Dear David,

As you go back to school, remember that the laptop/notebook you carry
is as much a fashion accessory as it is a usable piece of hardware.
To be lugging around a 4 year old laptop with a flaky display
is much like wearing last months kewl t-shirt. A social pariah in the
making.

Your loved system 76 should become your 'second' laptop
and used for experimental kernel hacking, trying new distro's
or hacking the schools network...

Your primary new laptop or notebook needs to be reliable,
have great battery life, and by quick to boot.
It should be shiny and slick, it should represent
to the techno-clueless your digital superiority.

If the techno-clueless can afford a Macbook air
just to run Facebook chat while in class,
can't you do better?

While true geeks will marvel at your ability to "make do"
with a flaky display and minimal battery life.. as we all wish we could
still use a Sinclair Z-88 in class. Please invest in some more modern
hardware. The investment will be worth it the first time you are able
to do your homework/classwork instead of messing with a flaky display
or the toxic overflow of your battery. Also remember that cute girls
are somehow attracted to shiney technology. Or at least, that's what
the media and advertising world wants us to believe.

Of course, it should run Linux, :)

[/sarcasm/humor]