[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jul 11 13:44:18 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 11:22 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:
> A new battery would be ~$150 shipped from System 76.  3rd party
> suppliers from eBay can be had for about $75.  The laptop is in mostly
> good condition, though the screen occasionally flickers, but closing
> and reopening the screen has fixed it thus far.  (I've tried reseating
> the video ribbon cable, but the problem persists.)
>
> Does it seem reasonable to spend $75-$150 on this laptop, or is it
> throwing money away?  Does anyone have experience with 3rd party
> battery suppliers on eBay they'd like to share?

Depends on what you would replace the laptop with and the overall health
of the remainder of the laptop's components.

If it's in good shape and you can still use it for quite a while, then
yes, a battery would be worth it.  However, if you think you're going to
be replacing it in the next year or so, it's probably better to just buy
a new system (assuming that you have the cash or credit available to do
so, of course).

	--- Mike