[ale] Red Hat upgrades?

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Tue Jul 5 15:14:56 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 01:52:16PM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> Yes. But every other distro also supports upgrading between major
> releases. Red Hat seems to think this is some impossible task, and
> would rather subject their users to days of wasted time.

Yeah, RHEL should upgrade between major versions but most other distros suck
at it, which is probably one reason RHEL doesn't do it. In my experience,
Debian is the only distro (or even OS) which can be upgraded reliably. It
sounds like others have caught up but I've heard that before and personally
found it to suck. [Ed: He's talking about Ubuntu]

So while I'm a proponent of upgrading Debian, I'm an opponent of upgrading
anything else. Because it sucks. My sympathies.

-L