[ale] Red Hat upgrades?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Jul 1 10:00:39 EDT 2011

James (Sumner):

Jim (Kinney) beat me to this unfortunately, but I will second what he stated below.

As a side thought (granted, a little sadistic perhaps too...but I am a Gentoo type as well ;-) ), make a snapshot or copy of your virtual machine environment, and do a RHEL 4 -> RHEL 5 (additional snapshot for sanity purposes) then RHEL 5 -> RHEL 6 upgrade on it to see what happens.  I would be curious how your application from RHEL4 fairs with such an upgrade process in "shooting from the hip".

Though for "stability", Jim's methodology is sound.  However and as noted, it will be a bit involved QA wise.

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.