[ale] Red Hat upgrades?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:43:45 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com>
> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > So far as I know RHEL doesn't have an upgrade path between major
> > releases.  You can upgrade RHEL5.4 to RHEL5.6 simply by doing "yum
> > update" but I don't know of a method to go from RHEL5.6 to RHEL6.0
> > without doing a reinstall.
>
> Such a thing astonishes me. There are plenty of other, _free_,
> distributions that have solved this problem. It makes no sense to me
> that the premier paid distribution would be broken in this way.

There is no "problem" to be solved here. The RHEL model answers a specific
need in business/industry, i.e. total stability of libs and API's etc. for
an extended period of time (years). It's costly to upgrade custom
applications everytime the fast moving distros do an upgrade (Ubuntu-non-LTS
and Fedora). Most likely your application will need to be modified to run in
the new arean anyway so get moving on the migration. Unless it's all just
basic bash or simple apache, it will need to be migrated.

> > Based on experience years ago with a well planned upgrade between major
> > releases of a commercial UNIX I decided it was never worth the effort
> > because:
> > 1)  There is always something you didn't plan for.
> > 2)  Much cruft behind from the old release that you're never quite sure
> > it is safe to remove.
> > It is much simpler to do a fresh install (ideally to a new machine) and
> > migrate applications over.   The other benefit to this is there is a
> > clean backout (i.e. using the old server) if the new environment has
> > issues.
>
> It will _not_ be easier for me to upgrade in this manner. The design
> of the application makes this prohibitive.
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/