[ale] how do you delete IMAP server messages and not local copies

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Jan 31 01:34:11 EST 2011

Hello all.  Several people have been encouraging me to use IMAP for
email, and I've been investigating it.  I specifically want to download
the messages to my local computer and have them available whether I'm
connected to the internet or not, as well as be able to back them up.  I
want all my computers synchronized when I'm connected to the net.  AND,
I want to be able to delete the messages from the server periodically,
when they accumulate to too large a number; while still retaining the
local copy on my machines.  I cannot seem to find any way to do that
based on what I've been reading.  Anybody know if that can be done?  I
also read that IMAP have problems synchronizing thousands of messages in
a folder, which is routine for me.

Sincerely,

Ron